Verb exercises 6: Present Perfect Continuous vs. Present Perfect




Use the present perfect continous or present perfect in the affirmative, question or negative form in the following sentences:

  1. I (to be) busy since was last met.
  2. I'm very fond of Allie but I (not to see) much of her lately.
  3. "How quickly your mood changes! You look drained." "I (to walk) around all day. I (to have) a few drinks and nothing to eat."
  4. But I (to cook, to clean) and (to dig) for three days and I'm tired.
  5. "I don't think your mother expects you to become an electrician." "What she (to say) to you?" "Nothing!"
  6. Imagine how much they (to learn) since they (to be) here.
  7. "Shall we sit down or do you prefer to stand?" "I (to sit) down in my office, so I'm happy to stand!"
  8. I found him waiting downstairs at the house door to let me in. "I'm sorry, I said, I hope you (not to stand) here long".
  9. There (to be) no guests at all since I left?
  10. The other chap is a man who threw up his job ten years ago and he (not to work) since.
  11. "My son is not a bad boy! But he's going through a difficult phase." "He (to go) through this difficult phase for 15 years."
  12. He's an old friend. I (to know) him for ages!
  13. You (to see) anything of Kelly lately?
  14. Do you know of any good books coming out soon? I (not to read) anything amusing for ages.
  15. I know the names of everyone in the village. I (to live) here all my life.
  16. "What do you suppose was wrong with the pony that he should go into the ditch?" asked Anne. "He (to go) into the ditch ever since I (to know) him" said the doctor, "and I (to know) him 22 years."
  17. Leticia has got a young man she (to have) dates with for ages and she won't tell me anything about him...
KEY
  1. have been
  2. haven't seen
  3. have been walking, have had
  4. have been cooking, cleaning and digging
  5. has .... been saying
  6. have learned, have been
  7. habe been sitting
  8. haven't been standing
  9. have ....... been
  10. hasn't worked
  11. has been going
  12. have known
  13. have ....... seen
  14. haven't read
  15. have lived
  16. has been going, have known, have known
  17. has been having