The Verb Exercises 9.: Present Perfect vs. Simple Past


Use the present perfect or the simple past in the following sentences which contain an indication of a period of time:

  1. Listen - he said -, my father (to fight) for four years in the last war.
  2. I (to meet) your boyfriend and (to have) a long talk with him today.
  3. Don't go away, Philip. I scarcely (to see) you today.
  4. Good morning, Mother, you (to sleep) late this morning.
  5. I was at school with Lexi. Then we (not to see) each other for years.
  6. I (to have) coffee with a friend of yours at the Bazaar today.
  7. I'm taking my wife out tonight. She (not to have) any fun for a long time.
  8. A: Has Millie had her tea? B: No. Not a bite. Not dinner either. A: Why, this is awful. The child (not to have) a bite all day.
  9. Unsimiling she (to regard) him steadily for a long time. He then stopped walking about and looked equally steadily her.
  10. I dare say you (not to have) a night's sleep or a proper meal this week.
  11. Pat, aren't you well? Don't you think that a cup of tea would be nice? We (to have) the 1st strawberries this morning.
  12. You (to see) Dad this afternoon? 
  13. You are just in time to hear a nice bit of news. Our neighbour is engaged to be married. He (to bring) me the news himself this morning.
  14. I'm sorry, I'm late. Everything (to seem) to hold me up this evening.
KEY
  1. fought
  2. met, had
  3. have ....... seen
  4. slept
  5. didn't see
  6. had
  7. hasn't had
  8. hasn't had
  9. regarded
  10. haven't had
  11. had
  12. have ......... seen
  13. brought
  14. seemed