Prepositions exercises I.




Complete the following sentences with suitable prepositions:

  1. We are going to follow the boys ......... their journey.
  2. Greg is big .... his age.
  3. Our neighbour was sent ...... prison ....... stealing.
  4. The hut is ........ fire. I thing it was set on fire ........ purpose.
  5. My father has retired and lives ......... a pension.
  6. The train ...... London leaves ....... platform No. 3.
  7. Here we are ..... the customs.
  8. English was originally a foreign language imported ...... foreign invaders.
  9. Come and sit ...... me!
  10. She won the race ....... about two yards.
  11. Many of the houses have been restored ..... their original form
  12. The child trembled ...... fear.
  13. The food was not ...... his liking.
  14. He is not very popular........ the workers...
  15. There is no end ...... the work ....... this house.
  16. She looked .... me ...... a smile.
  17. The decision rests ......... you.
  18. This colour does not go ...... that.
  19. Multiply the amount ...... ten and then divide ...... three.
  20. Don't judge a man ...... his clothes.
  21. I'm laughing ....... the risk you run ........ hope ........ finding money.
  22. This medicine is good ...... coughs. 
  23. It's impossible for there to be a war ........ two peace loving countries.
  24. He is ...... the comittee.
  25. The accident happened because I couldn't see ...... the fog.
  26. She spoke ....... whisper.
  27. These oranges are sold ........ weight.
  28. There is a new theatre in town ...... a seating capacity of 700.
  29. I have no money ..... me!
  30. I am almost stiff ...... cold.
KEY

  1. on
  2. for
  3. to, for
  4. on, on
  5. on
  6. for, from
  7. at
  8. by
  9. by / next to
  10. by
  11. to
  12. with
  13. to
  14. with
  15. to, in
  16. at, with
  17. with
  18. with
  19. by, by
  20. by
  21. at, in, of
  22. for
  23. between
  24. on
  25. for
  26. in
  27. by
  28. with
  29. with
  30. with