Adverbs exercises I.




Choose the right adverb:

  1. He stood close/closely to the door.
  2. You can get the magazine free/freely.
  3. He couldn't explain it clear/clearly.
  4. I hard/hardly studied at all last term.
  5. You guessed wrong/wrongly.
  6. He opened the door wide/widely.
  7. She was high/highly praised for her woerk.
  8. He has been working hard/hardly.
  9. I'm getting pretty/prettily tired.
  10. You can speak free/freely in front of him.
  11. My friends are most/mostly students.
  12. I haven't been to the theatre late/lately.
  13. I wrong/wrongly assumed that you were my friend.
  14. He close/closely inspected the lock.
  15. He came back late/lately.
  16. You're doing fine/finely.
  17. Take it easy/easily.
  18. The kite flew high/highly.
  19. The girl was dancing pretty/prettily.
  20. I understood his German easy/easily.
  21. He pulled the strings tight/tightly.
KEY
  1. close
  2. free
  3. clearly
  4. hardly
  5. wrong
  6. wide
  7. highly
  8. hard
  9. pretty
  10. freely
  11. mostly
  12. lately
  13. wrongly
  14. closely
  15. late
  16. fine
  17. easy
  18. high
  19. prettily
  20. easily
  21. tight