Subordinate Adverbial Clauses exercises I.


Result and Cause. Transform the following by using the words in italics. The transformations require a change from result and cause and vice versa!



  1. As the lecturer spoke very fast I found it difficult to make any notes (so .... that)
  2. Mrs Biggs knows that cycling is in his blood and so she doesn't try to stop him. (knowing)
  3. There was a lot of snow last night and many of the roads are impassable. (because)
  4. As we are likely to a lot more rain, I think we'd better postpone the trip. (so, adverb!)
  5. Last summer we had such dry weather that most of our crops came to nothing (so that)
  6. Soon there was such a great shortage of water that the local government was forced to ration it. (such ... that)
  7. The next bus didn't leave only an hour later and so we decided to spend the time sightseeing. (since)
  8. We, however, soon returned to the bus terminal, as we found nothing interesting to see. (so ... that)
  9. As my car wouldn't start in the morning, I was late to work. (and so)
  10. I realised I'd be late for work, I phoned my office to let them know. (realising)
KEY
  1. spoke so fast that
  2. knowing the cycling is in his blood, Mrs Biggs........
  3. Because there was a lot of snow......
  4. We are likely to have a lot more rain, so I think..........
  5. ........ we had such dry weather, so that.......
  6. Soon there was such (a great) shortage of water that ......
  7. Since the bus didn't leave.........
  8. ........... as we found so few things of interest that we.....
  9. My car wouldn't start...... and so I was late
  10. Realising I'd be late ..........