Verb exercises 4: Simple Present vs. Present Continuous Tense


Use the simple present in the affirmative, question or negative form, or the present continuous of the verbs in the brackets:

  1. A: When they (to leave)? B: In a fortnight. They (to see) about tickets tomorrow.
  2. The boy appeared with a railway time-table in his hand. "The next train (to leave in 25 minutes."
  3. I'll see to it that he (to take) his sister with him.
  4. I (to see) him tomorrow.
  5. He certainly wants to see you. It's the last chance because his regiment (to leave) the country early next week.
  6. SHHHHSHHHH! - she warned. You (to become) conspicious.
  7. Thelma looked down at his son: You are a little beggar - she said. You always (to want) something.
  8. Well, the easiest way to make sure that I (not to say) the wrong thing is not to bring your friends here.
  9. A: The note (to say) that you are to blame. B: She (to lie). A: Who (to lie)? B: The teacher.
  10. A: You must let me out here. Now I can easily walk to the railway station. B: What train you (to take)? A: The next to Vancouver. B: Then you (to leave) Canada. A: Yes. B: Just a holiday? A: No, I (to return) to England.
  11. Yes, how time (to fly) - observed Billy.
  12. Sometimes I (to think) about what you and I (to do) here, and whether any of it is really worth it.
  13. You (to look) hot. Haven't you something cooler to wear?
  14. A: Mr. Smith in? B: No, Madame, Mr Smith has just started for the East. His ship (to sail) tomorrow. A: Oh - said Jane blankly - Where from? B: Plymouth, Madame. His train (to leave) Paddington at midnight. You may catch him yet.
  15. A: How's Ken? B: He (to grow) peaches in North Carolina.
  16. Of course I (to joke) - he said in confusion.
  17. Come to my room this minute - he said. You (to hear) me? Please, hurry, I (to wait) for you!
  18. When she looked at him, he was no longer smiling and lost in thought again. "How quickly your mood (to change) !" - she exclaimed.
  19. I (not to go) home for lunch on Mondays. Mother (to get) up early on Mondays and (to do) her washing.
  20. She (to suffer) from a very unusual form of kidney disease.
  21. For goodness' sake see that these new girls (to get) their hair cut properly....
  22. A: What we (to do) now? B: When it (to be) light we'll go back to the truck.
  23. You ever (to play) cards? - he asked.
  24. Gillian (to be) rude to me. Why you (not to stop) her?
  25. A: What you (to do) tonight? B: I don't know yet. I (to get) rather used to being at home every night.
  26. What sort of parts you (to play) on the stage?
  27. She asked George who hadn't moved: Well, what you (to stand) there for? What you (to think) about?
  28. A: Greg, come here a minute, will you? B: Oh, what you (to want)? Cant you see I (to watch) the TV?
  29. I (to start) work next week. And we all (to look) forward very much to having you in the office. You (to join) us at an interesting time.
  30. I'm sorry you (not to feel) well, dear.
  31. Why you (not to try) to rest now, Sam? Try and sleep!
  32. Write him a note and see it (to be) delivered.
  33. Allison (to wait) for you, Amber!
  34. What you (to do) when you are by yourself?
  35. He (to know) a lot of languages.
  36. What he (to do) there? He (to write) a book, I believe.
  37. She always (to try) a little too hard to make people like her.
  38. One shouldn't dring when one (to drive).
  39. It was a shock to her, but she is the kind that (not to break) down.
  40. Why you (to wear) an engagement ring? You are not engaged!
  41. "You are young - he said. Young people (to do) a lot of foolish things."
  42. I'm about to move to London and I (to try) to deciede which books and records to make along.

KEY
  1. are .... leaving, are .... seeing
  2. leaves
  3. takes
  4. am seeing
  5. leaves
  6. are becoming
  7. are ...... wanting
  8. don't stay
  9. says, is lying, is lying
  10. are .... taking, are leaving, am returning
  11. flies
  12. think, are doing
  13. are looking / look
  14. sails, leaves
  15. is growing
  16. am joking
  17. do ... hear, am waiting
  18. changes
  19. don't go, gets, does
  20. is suffering
  21. get
  22. do ..... do, is
  23. do ........ play
  24. is being, don't stop
  25. are ....... doing, am getting
  26. do ......... play
  27. are ......... standing, are thinking
  28. do ........ want, am watching
  29. am starting, are ........ looking, are joining
  30. are not feeling (don't feel)
  31. don't ....... try
  32. is
  33. is waiting
  34. do ......... do
  35. knows
  36. is ......... doing, is writing
  37. is trying
  38. is drving
  39. doesn't break
  40. are ....... wearing (or: do ....... wear)
  41. are wearing
  42. do
  43. am trying